There once was a boy named Taylor, Who grew out his beard like the Savior.
It grew out and out, and I had to shout:
Taylor, shave that damn thing... you look ridiculous!
What... did you expect it to rhyme? Ha! I kill myself...
Meet my friend Taylor. He is partial to having facial hair.
This summer (as you can see) he grew out his beard until it was practically a foot long. It was poofy; it was gross. I threatened to shave it.
Thankfully, most of the time Taylor is very nicely groomed. Every time he throws a party though, probably a bit by the persuasion of his girlfriend, he rocks the mustache. Naturally, his birthday party was no different.
I already knew that I was going to make him his favorite cake, Guinness Chocolate Cake with Nutella Buttercream, but I wanted to make it a little more special.
Enter the Mustache Cake. If you can make a layer cake, you can make this Mustache Cake.
I was inspired by the cake I found from the blog Paisley Jade.
Here is how I did it:
- I made 4 round cakes using this recipe, doubled. Leveled them off, and then stacked them with a layer of buttercream (recipe on the same page as the cake) between each just like a regular layer cake.
- I took one of my cake pans and traced its diameter on a piece of paper. I then played around making an "S" shape down the middle of the circle until I found what I thought looked good and equal. FYI: you will flip one of the halves of the "S" shape to make the mustache.
- I used my paper cut out as a guide to cut down the middle of the cake and then very, very carefully flipped one of the halves.
- I then put the two halves onto a huge cutting board in the shape of the mustache I liked best (you can make a ton of different looking mustaches based on how you place them, so have fun).
- Frost away! It'll take a bit more time because you won't be working with your typical shape.
Unfortunately, my husband felt inspired to rock the mustache as well... not his best look.... but I love him anyway.
P.S. Happy Birthday (tomorrow) Taylor!!!